Joining the Programme
Who is the programme for?
The One Planet Communities programme is for private property developers and public bodies with development responsibilities.
We work with developers and their team to incorporate the 10 One Planet principles at all stages of development from preparation and appraisal, design and construction through to long-term estates management and sales and marketing.
What are the benefits of joining the programme?
The One Planet Communities programme has members around the world, has achieved international recognition and prestige with many of our partners winning significant awards for their work on sustainability.
The key benefits for developers include:
- A simple, structured route, with dedicated support from BioRegional’s highly experienced team, to translate the concept of deep sustainability into reality;
- an approach which builds on, rather than duplicates, your work achieving national and international industry standards such as LEED, Code for Sustainable Homes, BREEAM;
- a clear way to communicate your sustainability work using the language of the 10 One Planet principles;
- membership of an international network of the world’s most advanced, high-profile green developments – and the benefits of learning from these innovative market leaders;
- market differentiation following from endorsement by industry renowned experts and use of the ‘planet with a heart’ logo;
- guidance and advice from the world-renowned members of the One Planet initiative’s Expert Panel; and
- as a not for profit organisation, we create beneficial alliances and goodwill with government, community, media, and donors.
Are all development projects suitable for the One Planet Communities programme?
Whilst the One Planet approach is suitable for new build and regeneration projects in rural and urban locations anywhere in the world, projects should ideally:
- be mixed use with a large residential component;
- be to a scale where it becomes technically and financially viable to support the shared infrastructure that may be required to respond to the Common International Targets e.g. water, energy, transport;
- have existing, or plans for, good public transit connections; and
- demonstrate a sensitive use of land, building on previously developed land or land of low ecological or agricultural value.
How do we get started?
We are always interested in hearing from organisations considering applying the 10 One Planet principles to a project, plus with six regional offices we usually have someone in your area familiar with the local context.
We can offer a number of preliminary services, for example visioning workshops or gap analysis if you already have outline plans, to identify the key challenges and opportunities for applying the 10 One Planet principles to your project before deciding whether to you wish to progress to writing a detailed One Planet Action Plan.
Please contact our Programme Assistant, Daisy Chen, in the first instance at email@example.com . Daisy will then be able to direct your enquiry to the most appropriate member of the BioRegional team.
We look forward to hearing from you.